Saturday, August 18, 2012

It's been exactly one year since I went to Orlando, Florida to compete for the title of Miss America's Outstanding Teen. Tonight MAOT 2013 was crowned, Rachel Wyatt from South Carolina! How exciting! As I was following the pageant tonight, so many different memories and feelings came back to me from one year ago, accompanied by new thoughts and desires. Lacey Russ, MAOT 2011 said, "...the crown doesn't make you outstanding, the crown is simply a magnifying glass to the outstanding girl you already are." Being Miss Idaho Outstanding Teen truly changed my life. It gave me so much hope and faith in myself that I really was worth more than I thought I was. God knew I needed that experience to give me more confidence in myself to know that I have always been his outstanding daughter, I just needed to realize it. I like to compare myself to Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.... I seem to always be searching for a way to reach "home," but what I don't realize is that I am already there! One year ago, after my experience in Florida, I found myself wondering how would it actually feel to be named "Miss America" or "Miss America's OT?" The truth is, I don't think it would feel any different. Just as Lacey said..."it doesn't make you outstanding." I mean, I think it would feel exciting and completely surreal, but I would still be Melanie at the end of the day. So today, I've decided I'm going to live my life to my full potential.. every single day. I am going to live my life as Miss America! Call me crazy, but I think I might be a little bit more motivated...not to change, but to be more kind, to do better in school, but most importantly, to embrace the person I am and to truly be proud of that.
I'm so proud of Ashley Southern, my dear MIOT  sister, who received a scholarship to Troy University during the awards ceremony. She truly is an incredible girl! Also, congratulations to Elizabeth Fechtel, MAOT 2012, on an absolutely amazing year of service. 
At the beginning of the month, I had the great opportunity to compete in the Miss Idaho Falls pageant. I had a wonderful experience making new friends, and working more on my platform, by partnering with the Idaho Falls Music Club! I am particularly excited about this, because for the past five years, I have been given a scholarship from the IFMC to attend a summer music camp based on my performance in the local competitions. I truly believe that I could make a difference by helping raise more scholarship money to send more students to music camps to feel motivated, and to develop their talents even more!
I was named first runner-up in the pageant, and honestly... I couldn't be more honored. I truly feel that first runner-up is where I was supposed to be. . . and don't worry, I won't quit here!
Thank you so much to everyone who has continually supported me, I couldn't do anything without you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment